Friday, October 28, 2011

Food Friday: Black Bean Brownies

Back in the day, me and my high school bestie BK used be top chefs!
And by top chefs I mean we used to bake on the weekends. And it would come out awesome, if we remembered to stick around the house while it was in the oven!

Brian laughs when my mom talks about my bakings skills, because let's face it, I don't have rme anymore.


My friend Jessica sent me this recipe a while back but I kinda put off making it because I don't do beans- black beans, red beans, pinto beans, green beans, refried beans : YUCK! I have a texture issue. {insert ah-ha moment- that's where my child gets his eating problems}

Anyway I have also avoided these Food Friday posts because I didn't get many emailed to me **HINT HINT**

Anywho without further ado BLACK BEAN BROWNIES



Ingredients

Butter, for greasing pan
3/4 cup cooked black beans
1/2 cup vegetable oil, or olive oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9-inch square baking pan.
In a blender, puree the beans with the oil. Add the eggs, cocoa, sugar, coffee, and vanilla. Melt half the chocolate chips and add to the blender. Blend on medium-high until smooth. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the blender and pulse until just incorporated. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake until the surface looks somewhat matte around the edges and still a bit shiny in the middle, about 20 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and removing from the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Cook's Note: Place a small cutout or stencil on the brownie before dusting to make a design.
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Made these over the weekend. If anyone is doubting the results, don't. YUMMY!!!! Thanks, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete