Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Childhood Cancer Awareness: The Best Days of My Life

We were at an even recently where I got to hear a father speak about his daughter. This girl went through 8 months of treatment for Neuroblastoma before losing her fight.  This father made a very profound statement, one I don't think can be understood unless you have lived through it. 

Roughly stated; Cancer gave me the best days of my life.

Again, as I would never wish what we have been through on anyone, I can not disagree with this man.

There has never been another time in my life that I have known so much love; from family, from friends... from complete strangers.
I've never know the amount of love inside myself.  There was so much joy felt in each smile Liam had.
I know that no matter how much money we inevitably spend on family photos, this will always be my favorite picture of Liam.  the innocence of a child who has no ide what he is about to go through, who at this moment only feels joy and love.

I know I said before, it was a time I really felt purpose in my life. I had taken a leave if absence from teaching to care for Liam during his treatment. I wasn't forced to go to a job each day, I didn't need to bring work home with me each night. I was able to just be there with my son.

Cancer changes your life, there is no doubt, but it doesn't have to ruin your life.
Bookmark and Share

2 comments: