Monday, July 1, 2013

How to Survive being Pregnant in the Summer

Everyone has an opinion for pregnant women. I have been asked too much, why would you choose to be pregnant in the summer.
I wasn't concerned. I'm the person wearing sweats in the air conditioning all summer.
But guess what, I'm swollen and its not fun. I am wearing sweats, nor am I dressing to impress anyone.



How do some women wear their wedding rings their whole pregnancy? Am I just prone to swelling? It's not the puffiness that bothers me over this whole swelling thing, it actually hurts. I didn't realize fat fingers could be painful.

So how am I going to survive the summer pregnant?

Stay Hydrated



So I have been drinking tons of water, which is nothing new for me. I have always drank lots of water, taking multiple bottle of water to work with me each day. I used to have a bottle that held your 8 glasses of water for the day, I filled that up twice a day, at least. So yeah I drink water. But even with that excessive amount, I am still never feeling like I have enough right now.

Do Outside Activities when Temperatures are at their coolest

{obviously an older picture}
 
As I have mentioned before I am getting antsy, I am beyond ready to start working out again, and I still have about 9 1/2 weeks before I can really workout like I want to. Solution: daily walks. But when the weather is 90 degrees daily we have to make sure to walk first thing in the morning.

Dress in Lightweigh Material

As I said, I am not dressed to impress.  If I actually have to get dressed for something, its been a tank top and maxi skirt.  If by chance I actually wear shorts or jeans someplace, I am back in my short yoga pants as soon as I get home.  I'm all about the comfort!

Rest

Easier said than done with a very active 3 year old. But even with outdoor activities being limited to non"hot" hours and water activities, the heat really takes it out of you!   Liam averages about 1 nap a week.  We have been practicing quiet time in his room each afternoon if he isn't napping.  I put him in his bed with a book and he is usually good there for an hour of quiet time without sleep as long as I lay down with him "for just 4 minutes" (I don't know where this kid came up with asking me to lay down for 4 minutes! so particular he is).


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. I am sympathizing and empathizing, Dawn! 26 years ago, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. A baby who was due August 31 and not born until September 8. A baby who weighed 9 1/2 pounds. A baby who was born at the end of a summer of a record number of 90+ degree days with no central air. I lived in front of the window unit in our bedroom and in the plastic turtle pool with the dog and my 17-month old! lol Hang in there, kiddo! :)

    ReplyDelete